Friday, October 19, 2012

Update on us (Palm Desert, CA Oct.13--?)

Oct 19th, 2012
We are now in Palm Springs/Palm Desert staying about 40 min out of town. (In the middle of no where) We have been here a week.  When driving in we were all reminded of the roadrunner cartoons out in the desert.  Once off the main road of desert, you drive into a small community of its own, with mobile homes and rv slots.  The temps here are in the mid 90's, and rather quiet since its a snowbird destination and its still Oct. Seems things here pick up come November time. Nothing much new with our routine.  This place has mineral pools and hot tubs so we have all enjoyed our experience with those.  Rick is starting to work more now and the boys have settled in with their school routine.  Devin and I have gone through some homesick emotions and have been working through those.   Although Avery has become more active (riding bike and swimming and walking farther with walker) he still relies on his walker and his sunglasses.  Avery is still a challenge for Rick and I, but we continue to press on, giving him truth from God's Word.  Rick and I have been working on our communication skills and on our own weaknesses as parents.  Looking to God and giving Him thanks for every day.  Remembering we are here to learn about Him, love Him, and serve Him.

As for me, we were able to find a chiro in town who could scan my neck and sent me for an MRI.  It seems I have 3 protruding disks, along w quite the degeneration already happening. My neck is not curved, it is straight, the disks are protruding into the fluid that run to the nerves, narrowing the spine canal.  This could be what has been causing not just my pain, but the numbness, tingling and weakness in my arms and hands. Although he thinks steroid shots would help, is not recommending them due to the break out issue of contaminated batch.  So I will take a 6 day pill pack of steroids and continue on motrin.  I have had pre-exisiting issues with my neck and back for some years now but the fall I took 6 weeks ago in Pacific City just exasperated things and I haven't been the same, in constant pain and discomfort.  My lower back issues from before are showing their colors and looks like I will be going back in for an MRI on my lower back and sacrum area as well.  So that said, prayers for healing and for continued strength and wisdom as we continue our travels.  That I may find my joy, happiness, and contentment in Christ and not in this temporary life that is fading away.

Rick and I pondered the idea of going home immediately so that I could get set up with some doctors and whoever I needed to help.  But we have no insurance right now and we felt we could press forward and see how it goes. We have extended our stay here in Palm Desert another week due to my issues, and will be moving to an rv park in town come tomorrow.

Going from the coast to the desert was quite the change, but it has been nice to experience the differences.  We appreciate the sun and heat, but have mixed emotions on missing our "FALL" weather. :)  Or at least Devin and I do.  Fall is my favorite time of year; the crisp air, the changing colors, the smell of fireplaces, sweatshirts and hot tea.  All to say this is a new experience for us this fall, but we plan to soak up all the sun we can. :)

---Jenn








No comments:

Post a Comment